Sunday, January 27, 2008

Badges? We don't need no stinkin badges!

Ok so those of you who read my initial posts that had to be deleted, I used to be a correctional officer here in the fine state of Indiana. Well last July I took a new job at the prison as a Correctional Casework Manager. If it sounds fancy trust me it's not. I'm basically a glorified nanny and paper pusher. I'm basically responsible for making sure everything is ready for the prisoners to return to society. I'm also supposed to try and influence them and rehabilitate them making them into better citizens. And yes it's as much a load of crap as it sounds. 95% of the guys in prison don't care about making themselves better. They only care about doing whatever they can to get out sooner so they can go commit more crimes. Case in point, the prison system offers around 100 programs and what not depending on which prison you are at. I'm supposed to sit these guys down and talk about what I think they should do while they are in prison based upon what we feel their needs are. For example if a guy is locked up for dealing drugs I would suggest he get into substance abuse. However every time you suggest something to these idiots the very first thing out of their mouths is "Can I get a time cut for it?" Some of them can't read or write, and they go to get their G.E.D. not because they want to better themselves but because they can get out 6 months earlier. I've actually had guys tell me they did bad on their evaluation tests just so they can take a program with their G.E.D. which will give them another 6 months off. I swear if we got rid of time cuts for programs there would be 15 guys trying to get their G.E.D. instead of 1500. But I digress. So to sum it all up, guy commits crime, guy lives off the state for 2 years getting a free education, free food, and the best weight room the state can buy, guy gets out of prison and commits another crime because he realizes hey prison life ain't so bad. This country is going downhill fast, and our illustrious governor isn't helping.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heidi said...

Word to the wise, free speech ain't always free when you work for the government. Might want to keep it non-work related.

Glad you're back to blogging though.

12:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home